Back to top
How to Connect an AKD Drive to Allen Bradley PLC
- Products supported:
- Kollmorgen AKD-Pxxxxx-NBEI-0000 Servo drive (Firmware 1.11.x.x, or newer, recommended)
- Allen Bradley Micrologix 1400 PLC and/or Compactlogix PLC
- Allen Bradley RSlogix 500, 5000 and Studio 5000
- Available information and sample code:
AKD EtherNet-IP Sample Projects (more of a demo program)
- Simple setup instruction:
- At this time, do not connect to the drive with the PLC. An active EIP connection to the drive will interfere with enabling the drive from workbench.
- Connect to AKD with PC and copy of Workbench GUI
- Follow instruction in “help” for correct tuning and operation of the drive in Position Mode
- Change drive’s IP address and IP Mask to a static address that matches the PLC’s subnet
- Save to drive’s NV memory
- Now connect the drive to the PLC
- For Compactlogix PLC, follow the setup instruction found in “Kollmorgen AKD EtherNetIP RSLogix Communications Manual “or Use “AB Studio 5000 sample project for AKD EIP drive” as a template.
- For Micrologix 1400 PLC, use “Allen Bradley Micrologix 1400 EIP program for AKD” as a template. There are some instructions found at Appendix C in “Kollmorgen AKD EtherNetIP RSLogix Communications Manual “.
- The drive “add in” communication block must be inserted in the “main” plc code that is executed 100% of the time.
- Only one “add in” function block or MSG block can be used at a time.
- As with the Allen Bradley drives, a managed switch or router is recommended. VLANs, port-bandwidth and duplex features are important and should be configured in the switch. Microsegmentation will also help.