PROFINET ( Pro cess Fi eld Net work) is the Profibus & Profinet International (PI) open industrial Ethernet standard for automation.
There are two types Profinet types, Profinet CBA and Profinet IO:
- Profinet CBA (Component Based Automation) should be used for component based communication via TCP/IP and real time communication for real time requests in modular systems.
- Profinet IO has been developed for real time (RT= Real Time) and for clock synchronous communication IRT (IRT= Isochronous Real Time) with decentral peripheral devices. RT and IRT only describe the real time capabilities within Profinet IO.
Profinet CBA and Profinet IO can communicate at the same time at the same bus system. They can be operated separately or combined.
- TCP/IP protocols for Profinet CBA with reaction time of about 100ms
- RT (Real Time) protocol for Profinet CBA and Profinet IO, for applications with up to 10 ms cycle time
- IRT (Isochronous Real Time) protocol for Profinet IO, for applications with less than 1 ms cycle time